Saturday, July 17, 2010

Thoughtful Perfuming

My original intention for this new line was two-fold. Create a non alcoholic brand of perfumes and related products, inspired in part by the perfumes I had created for young girls. And try to keep the budget down, so they would be affordable and accessible to more people. All through the process I thought about these two components. I also felt that it would be a disservice to dumb down the perfumes, regardless of the target audience, which to me is more about being young at heart, than a number or age bracket. I wore some pretty sophisticated perfumes when I was a girl, and  well into my twenties, and no doubt there are a lot of girls today with complex taste and style.  At one point I felt that I had too much cross over from what I intended for the luxe Soivohle oils, so I had to stay focused on my goal. It takes a lot more discipline to create from a brief, than it does to wing it or create from a purely personal aesthetic. I should have learned this from creating Bespoke Perfumes. But still there is something entirely different that happens when working with another person on a perfume project. Acousticjus is like my dream job, and being a pragmatic dreamer, I have upturned every stone to find the thing that makes it tick. I wish my aunt Dee were still alive, she would have loved this. Dee was what used to be known as an Old Maid, she never married, and only left home after my grandparents died. By that time she was seventy years old. She was quite intelligent, yet had a very child like way about her. She taught me to read and write long before I started going to school. By the time I was four or five, I knew how to bind, write and illustrate a story book, make jewelery out of acorns and sew dresses from maple leaves. It was a magical time, and hopefully through this new adventure that is Acousticjus, some of that original magic will shine through.

2 comments:

  1. I have been watching your web site waiting for the Acousticjus oils to appear, so this post is a nice little preview.

    I ove your story about your Aunt Dee. She sounds magical!

    ReplyDelete