Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Future of Soivohle

I guess it is inevitable that at some point evaluation is needed. Perhaps a  set of new eyes looking at things. I recently called upon a few folks who I have a lot of respect for, in their opinions as well as business savvy. I was feeling out of sorts about Soivohle, and felt it was moving too far off target. My initial zest had turned to ugh, and I was not happy with our direction. I knew that I had some things in the works. The new packaging (if it ever gets here) and a decision to trim down the offerings in our online shop. I had done this before. Trimmed back, but this time I knew it needed to be with greater precision, and in an effort to get back to my crystal ideal, I needed to focus less on perfume-ism and more on art. After all art is what I do. I was a painter full time for thirty years, as well as a graphic/composition artist. Creating scented things was always an extension of that. Always in the background, and always something I intended to do more of when I got the time. Now that things are switched around and scent art is my main focus, I feel that it is only fair that I give it the same respect and attention I put into any other art project. So change is gonna come. While I was seeking all this sage advise on the business end, I also contacted a few of my best customers and people who know our line well. People who have been there from the beginning. Most were very gracious to help me, and for this I am most thankful. The overwhelming consensus rests in the area of parfums. It made sense, because the parfums have always been my most personal projects. Even when it was about a tie (sales wise) between the parfums and sprays. There was always a consistency there.
Recent projects like Meerschaum and NightJar were very revelatory. They brought it all home. The personal nature of these scents made it worth something to me. More than filling a gap in our scent wardrobe. More than profitability.
As much as I want to make things people will like. My gut will not let me toss all of my emotions and personal feelings into something, just to make a buck. I know it's the American way and that the fragrance industry works on that model. People unfortunately, and in larger numbers, are used to that model and see scent as nothing more than a consumer good. The only thing they invest is the few dollars they pay the cashier. So how does someone like me fit in. The truth is, I don't. More than one person expressed that to me during our conversations. Advising me to go back to my original plan and stick to it. The plan that used phrases like, "Art in a bottle" Liquid Art" Scentual Artistry" ....
Even more than not fitting the model, I don't want to fit the model. And I guess that is what has me smashing at the side of the box I have painted myself into. It's funny how that thing (box) creeps up and slams down on a person. Some folks live in a box their entire life and never know it. But there is a sure fire test for finding out. Try to flex your wings, do you have enough room to maneuver. Can you fly unhindered.
I am spending the next few days reorganizing my work space, and making my final decisions on what will stay and what will go. This time there will not be a special order for discontinued things. There will only be the things that are truly loved. If anyone reading has a special Soivohle scent they would like to see in the line up, please leave a comment about why you would like to see it stick around. I am most interested in feedback on scents in the Natural and Moderne Collections LZ

10 comments:

  1. Hello Liz,

    I say follow your heart. Meerschaum and NightJar have obviously stirred you and every artist needs that feeling in order to keep creating.

    I am new to your perfumes so my opinion on what sticks around hardly counts, but I think Sinti is a profoundly beautiful scent. It is the first rose perfume I have smelled that actually smells like roses, real wild roses basking in the hot sun.

    Best wishes to you as you plan your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you JoanElaine,
    Sinti is on the short list. It is not going anywhere. LZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz,

    Late to your blog post, but I just wanted to to echo JoanElaine's comments. That being said, I'm a fan of many of your scents, but Honeysuckle Bird is nearest and dearest to my heart. I'm thrilled to hear that you're doing a parfum version, although as you noted on Facebook, it will be quite different. I will definitely plan to order it in October. I hope, however, that the lovely EDP version will still be around, if only seasonally. I can well understand why brides are telling you it's their wedding day scent. If I had to choose but one word to describe it, I would choose "ethereal." It has been a delightfully happy and serene scent that I have worn for much of the hot and humid summer.

    I will also speak up for Amberene - the very first amber fragrance that I have ever loved - Pink Praline, which is rich but playful, and my first LZ/Soivohle purchase, the moving Solstice. While I haven't managed to purchase it yet, I also loved my sample of Violets & Rainwater, because it is such an unexpected violet. While I would be sad to see any of these go (especially Honeysuckle Bird EDP...gulp!), I do recognize that in any of your new creations, I will most assuredly find new treasures to admire and wear with pleasure.

    Always a fan,
    lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for this wonderful reply. I am taking all suggestions to heart. Yes the Honeysuckle Bird Parfum is the original version. The EDP was adapted for the line.
    We will make minor changes to some scents, It is unfortunate but with the naturals people say they want a lighter spray version of the parfums, yet when we have offered them, they do not sell. So with the naturals we will concentrate more on the parfums.
    We will not be making many changes to the Moderne Collection EDP's, just changing the packaging.
    I wish we could continue to do it all, but I have to draw the line somewhere, and with our new boxes arriving soon, it seems like a good time to make the shift.
    I have had so many responses to the post. Emalis and calls as well. Everyone has their favorite, so it is going to be hard to decide.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz,
    Your scents are all beautiful, but just a quick note to let you know my favorites:
    Natural - Blood Orange & Vetiver and Underworld (if there is any chance of discontinuing either, I need to buy them soon!)
    Moderne - Violets & Rainwater and Writing Lyrical Poetry (I have these two and love them)
    Thank you for sharing your creativity with us
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You Sandy,
    Your input is much appreciated. You are safe on the BOV and Underworld. We will not be discontinuing them. I am still going over the florals in the Moderne Collection. Have not made all of my cuts yet.
    Best, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz -- I'd love to see Domino Voile in a parfum formulation. I think it's a gorgeous piece of work as a lighter spray, but should it become a much more concentrated and personal piece, I can't imagine it would be anything short of spectacular.

    I saw on your e-shop that it's presently out of stock. Does that mean that you're discontinuing it? Oh please oh please oh please, let that not be so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nathan,
    No it is not being discontinued, and yes I am creating an parfum version. It is out of stock online as are a few things. When it does come back it will be in the new packaging.
    I have been batching out perfumes all week. Domino is on the list . But it will be awhile as I am waiting on a few ingredients to arrive for the violet accord.

    Abigail at the Posh Peasant just restocked the Domino in her online shop. So if you need a bottle she has it.
    Originally all I made were parfums, and am going back to that with several of the scents in the current line up. Personally they are my favorites, and offer up the greater challenge when composing. LZ

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz, good to hear, and I apologize that I called it Domino Voile instead of Viole. I've always seen it as Voile in my head, and have called it that from day one. Only to realize just tonight that I've been misspelling all along!

    And no, I don't need to order the EDP from Abigail as long as I know that you're making a parfum version of it. I can be patient, not to mention anticipatory. It's one of my favorite scents of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nathan,
    No problem on the spelling.
    We will have the Parfum at a later date. I just mentioned the Posh Peasant because they are the only ones (I think) who have Domino right now. As soon as I posted that we were going to discontinue some things, several folks went online and bought up their favorites.

    ReplyDelete