Monday, September 27, 2010

New Paradigm

I love my Sundays. I can take the day off if I want. Work a little. I never really have a set agenda, so whatever happens....happens.
I was thinking earlier about the new changes to Soivohle, and thinking that some folks may wonder why I am doing this.
My original intention was to maintain my creative vision as I shifted my focus from a paint driven process to an essence driven process. With the desire being to create a different kind of art, a liquid art. I think I have done, ok, yet at the same time have gotten a little off track with too much of the focus being on the word perfume.  Not a word that sits well next to the word art. At least not in our culture where perfume is a throw away and for the most part seen as a personal care item, like deodorant and shampoo.
I knew that I was fulfilling my vision from the start when people would inform me that they purchased my scents, not to wear, but to open up and smell from time to time. Mainly because the scent reminded them of a particular time in their life.  I have several scents that I keep around just for sniffing. Some are old vintage perfumes, and others, are things I have created.
With our new changes, and the focus being on the artistry, it is my desire to drop the use of the word perfume. I really want to get that commercial image out of peoples heads. To expand on what a liquid essence can be. That it can be worn on the skin, yes. But that it can be so much more than that.
I have spent some time reading perfume blogs, particularly the comments. Not all, but with some it is a game. A perfume game. New releases, the chatter about the notes, catty remarks about celebrities. A surface driven conversation, often about scents they have never smelled. I am guessing that the overkill of marketing and saturation has numbed peoples senses, to the point that it would be difficult to recognize a genuine jewel in a sea of glass. This is true for many other things too, but since scent is my thing I tend to notice more, how this little world spins. How that in the few short years of Internet  perfume blogging, and heightened public awareness, how many have become so jaded so fast.  On the other hand there are some blogs and online magazines with a great passion for the artistry of scent. People who really get it on a deeper level. These are probably the same folks who will see the subtleties of  color value in a painting, or appreciate a particular chord pattern in a song. What these things have in common is attention. One must pay attention in order to discern and appreciate detail.
At this particular twist in the juncture, I feel somewhat like a bratty kid throwing a tantrum, and I just want to have it my way and all will be fine. Luckily I am the only one who can make that happen. Lucky as well that I have been able to observe the panorama and make the adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment