Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Winter Poem

I suppose I should start this by saying  I need to clean and organize more. But then I would not find sweet little jewels tucked away, as they would have already been discovered. Enter Writing Lyrical Poetry, the beautiful White Flower Composition that I created in honor of my two grandmothers, both fine southern women with a passion for gardening, and flowers in general. As I was doing a quick re-organizing of the shelves in my lab I found a  small bottle of the original formula for Writing Lyrical Poetry. I am guessing that it is around three years old. When I unscrewed the cap to get a whiff of it, I was blown away at how beautifully it had aged. It was so sinfully erotic. I immediately set out to create one of my impromptu scents.
The result is Winter Poem. It has all of the elements of WLP, but different, leaning more towards a white flower floral chypre than a white flowers and musk. The only big change I made was adding a dominant portion of my Freesia Accord. Unlike the Prada wearing Devil, I adore Freesia, and have been trying to find the perfect application for the new accord that I created. Freesia is such a fresh note, that when paired with the deeper notes of Gardenia and Jasmine, turn the whole thing on its ear. But in a good way.....
Unfortunately with impromptu blends they are not (most of the time) written down, or measured out precisely. For me this is the equivalent of sitting in front of a blank canvas and just diving in with a brush of color, letting my emotion and energy dictate the outcome.
So as I have been checking the progression of the aging process in this new scent, I have been very satisfied with the result, so much so that I will add it to our winter line up. I think I also mentioned the addition of Journeyman as a permanent selection. The original being an impromptu blend set into an oil base. For this I took some of the Journeyman from the original batch and sniffed out the components. The new one is a tad different, but still has the heart of the original. Reminds me of printmaking. I have a fondness for ink based monotype printmaking. I have gone back years later to a dried plate to create a variation of the original.
There has been a lot of talk lately about artistry and scent, and I find that many things, and variations of what I was saying years ago are now being repeated. Catch words like, Modern Natural, Liquid Art, Art in a bottle all came from early writings and the mission statement of my original perfume studio back in the 1990's.
Forever pounding on the idea that scent is art, I have never let up.
At one point I had given an interview about my process, on how I was not all that interested in the note pyramid, and rarely used it to create a scent.  That most things I create in my head before I ever write them down on paper, and when I do it is like an artists sketch, a sparse outline that I fine tune later. Besides once the basic information is logged to memory, one hardly needs to work like a beginner who is just learning the ropes.
I have also blogged about many of these things on numerous occasions, so I am happy that people are finding things they can use.
But back to Winter Flower. It will be available as long as it lasts, because after that it is gone forever. I made a kilo, or there abouts, as that is all that could be made with the amount of the original formula I had.
Now I need to  go clean my shelves again to see what other goodies I find. I love working off the cuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment